“What the Industry Can Teach Us” – Employment Opportunities Reviews
Fashion styling is one of the most popular emerging professions in the fashion world globally. However finding work as a fashion stylist is very competitive and one has to work very hard to gain consistent employment in this field. There are several misconceptions about how to obtain a career as a fashion stylist
- A Fashion Stylist job is easy to get and can be done by anybody
- One can lead a comfortable life after getting a job as a Fashion Stylist
- One doesn’t have to work very hard to get ahead in this field
Below are the essential skills you will need to gain and keep a career as a successful fashion stylist:
- It goes without saying that any good fashion stylist must have a a passion for fashion and a keen eye for detail. In addition you must be constantly researching the most recent trends and colour schemes, be on the lookout for emerging fashion trends and be in the know about fashion labels. It will help if you watch fashion shows on websites like Vogue, and Fashion TV, read fashion magazines, fashion blogs and regularly look at top fashion sites like Fashionising.
- Undertake some professional training. While this is not essential it will not only greatly improve your credibility, but it will give you a good grounding in understanding how the industry works and will definitely open up more doors for you than if you tried to break into the industry on your own. A good course should teach you essentials such as fashion history, cycles and trends, the importance of colour, sourcing locations, props and outfits, and building your business amongst other things. There are many certified courses available today, both online and in classrooms, that can help you become a professional fashion stylist. Many of them are quite expensive so please see the Courses page to help find the right one for you.
- Get hands on experience. The best way to do this is to find and internship with a fashion magazine or an already established and experienced fashion stylist who is looking for an assistant. Websites like The Loop, Free Fashion Internships, Fashion Jobs are great places to find internships all over the world. You can also call up established fashion stylists in your area and ask them if they need an assistant. Either way you need to be prepared to work long and hard for free. An assistants’ responsibilities can vary greatly depending on the stylist and the assignment. Some are hired only to perform physical labour, such as setting up for a client fitting or returning samples to a press showroom; others may help the stylist with selecting wardrobe options, preparing clients for public events, or any other task needed to complete an assignment.
- In addition you will need excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility when it comes to dealing with different types of clients, a sense of humour, a professional attitude, creativity and the ability to think outside the box, the ability to work to deadlines, the ability to work in a team, punctuality, motivation and the ability to work long hours under pressure.
Styling Agencies from around the World
If your work is particularly outstanding you may want to approach an agency that specializes in representing fashion stylists, hair stylists and makeup artists. When a Fashion Stylist is represented by an agency, the agency usually books all of their work or assignments for a fee, usually ranging between 10 and 20% of the stylist’s fee. The agency ensures that the Stylist’s needs are met, typically guaranteeing that transportation, travel, and accommodations are all handled before the Stylist takes an assignment. Checkout bellow ,just some of the agencies in and around “Europe & Australia” .